Saturday, October 8, 2011

Why a Blog?

Fair enough question, right? I mean, it seems everyone these days has a blog. I often put this off because I didn't necessarily have the answer to that question. I wasn't into photography, I hadn't hiked Mt. Everest, I wasn't saving the world so I didn't see the need. Well now, I do.

I wrote a book and I'm trying to get it published and I've run into a lot of people who have experienced the same frustration that I have. You spend months, maybe even years of your life pouring your heart and soul into this piece that you're so incredibly proud of. You can't wait to send it to agents because you're sure each one is going to send you a first class ticket to meet them at their office in NYC immediately upon receiving it. You carefully select the ones you're going to submit to and you painstakingly write a personalized query letter to each one. Then you send and you wait...and you wait and you wait and you wait. Surely, they are just making the travel arrangements for you or telling the publishing houses to get ready because they have something great in the pipeline--and perhaps they do, but it isn't your book. All they have for you is a generic "Dear Author" rejection letter, which basically tells you that they didn't even read your query letter or that one of their assistants might have skimmed it over and that with one fell swoop, they "deeply regret to inform you" that they are stomping your hopes, dreams and all of your hard work.

So that is the point in my journey that you are joining me on. I am now beginning the "creative marketing" phase of trying to land an agent or publisher as well as launching a more aggressive query campaign. I will keep this blog updated and will also be posting Youtube videos of my trials and tribulations and would love to hear some of your stories. This is a place where fellow writers can vent, agents can give their two cents and anyone else can contribute whatever they would like as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment